Tuesday, January 8, 2013

FRISTING SIGHTING




                    " ORIENTAL SCOPS OWL"   in RANTHAMBHORE

The ORIENTAL SCOPS OWL (Otus sunia)-  was spotted during the Evening of Sunday, January 29, 2012, 4:59:58 PM but it is rare winter visitor.


It all started when I was conducting a tour in Ranthambhore National Park, Rajasthan, India. While scanning the trees with my binoculars, it was very strange and unusual for me because I was pleasantly surprised to see an Oriental Scops-owl roosting in a Dhok tree (Anogeissus pendula  ).
I sow it first time in my life. That’s why, I was little bit confused for its identity.  Eventually, I confirmed it by my birds’ book & with my naturalist friend, Shakir Ali. After the game drive, I discussed with my seniors of it. They told me that they never noticed it in the park.  So, Watching the ORIENTAL SCOPS OWL is fantastic news for Ranthambhore!
It was a very small, brown or gray owl with beige streaks.  There are different colored Oriental Scops-owls.  It look a lot like tree bark which helps to camouflage them. It was near about 8 inches long. Generally, female lays between 4 & 6 white eggs once a year. The eggs hatch in 4 weeks. They don’t make nests but they lay eggs in a medium size tree hole.  They hunt at night. Their main diet is insects but they can eat also Mice, lizards and small birds.
Important Notes:

Range: Breeds in the Indian subcontinent, Sri Lanka, Pacific Russia, Japan, Korea, China, and Indochina; migrates through the Indian subcontinent, S. China to Malay Peninsula, Singapore, N. Sumatra.

Habitat: They are  generally found in leafy (deciduous) forest, wooded areas & park.

Scientific name: Otus sunia
Family Name: Strigidae
English synonyms:- Oriental Scops-Owl, Little Scops Owl, Little Scops-Owl, Eastern Scops Owl, Eastern Scops-Owl, Indian Scops-Owl, Indian Scops Owl, Asian Scops Owl, Asian Scops-Owl, Indian Scops Owl, Indian Scops-Owl, East Asian Screech Owl, East Asian Screech-Owl
Interesting Behavior:-While they are in danger, these owls will raise their ear tufts, stand very still, and close their eyes. It helps to blend them into the tree that way.
Generally, this type of owl prefer to spent solitary life, that is the reason they are found in single not in group.
I hope that it will come back in winter again & we are waiting for it……………….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for comment.